Friday, September 7, 2007

The Unmatched Palette


Though I'm fairly adamant about questioning the presence of God in our lives, the colors of the natural world have always made me draw a breath. Despite the many achievements of man, we have never been able to manufacture colors as brilliant as those found all over the planet. The yellows and oranges of garden peppers. The almost electric purple on the feathers of a peacock's neck. The soft pinks inside a conch shell hidden deep beneath the azure seas of the Caribbean. Sometimes the sunsets that spread across our Virginian skies make me forget that anything else exists in the world during those evenings.

The other day I found this picture of a Panther Chameleon in a book of my son's. I just couldn't stop looking at the seemingly infinite number of colors that splashed themselves all over his skin. Even now I really don't have words to describe its beauty. I'm think I'm just thankful to have stumbled across it.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Nothing quite beats the feeling of focusing on something so intensely beautiful that you forget anything else exists. What an exquisitely detailed creature.

Anonymous said...

Haha, just noticed something about the photo of the chameleon. How does it retain the color variations in its sleep? Question, does Mystique sleep as herself or the last person she imitated?