Friday, February 20, 2009

Things I like... Things You Should Like


The Avett Brothers are my most recent musical passion. These North Carolinians are the most honest, genuine, and original performers that I've heard in a long time. It seems like the longer people are on this earth, the harder it is to find something truly new. To one degree or another, it seems like everything sounds like something else. The Avett Brothers, however, have the most unique sound I've heard in a while.

Their style has been called some sort of bluegrass/punk/country/rock hybrid. Their shows are sweaty and energetic outburts of music, emotion, and creativity. I've never seen anything like them and I can't get enough of the Avett Brothers right now.

What I like a lot about them is that they just seem real. Truthful. Their music clearly defies most genres, so they're certainly not catering to the "sensibilities" of the general public. They're lyrics are fantastic too... poetic, yet spoken in a plain and honest language from an everyman's perspective. Their vocals will break your heart too. Though it's pretty much a shared venture, I'd say that Scott Avett sings a larger percentage of the leads. His voice is beautiful, tender, and haunting all at once. When I first checked them out, I actually thought I might not be able to listen to them for very long. I thought the vocals might depress me. Over time, though, I've simply come to appreciate the great depth and tone of his voice. They also have enough upbeat songs whose energy makes you forget everything else.

Below are the lyrics to "Tear Down the House," from the Avett Brothers' most recent release, "The Gleam II" EP. The imagery in the words is so vivid. You can picture nearly every single line that Seth Avett sings with a voice nearly as beautiful as his brother's, but certainly as effective. There's no doubt that you have felt like "collapsing and cryin' at the moon" at one point or another in your life too. It's a wonderful song.

"Tear Down the House"

Tear down the house
that I grew up in.
I'll never be the same again.
Take everything that I’ve collected
and throw it in a pile.
Bulldoze the woods
that I ran through.
Carry the pictures of me and you.
I have no memory of who I once was
and I don't remember your name.

Park the old car
that I love the best.
Inspection's due and it won’t pass the test.
It’s funny how I have to put it to rest
and how one day…I will join it.

I remember crying over you
and I don't mean like a couple of tears
and then I'm blue.
I’m talkin’ about collapsing
and screaming at the moon,
but I'm a better man
for having gone through it.
Yes, I'm a better man
for having gone through…

Ever since I learned how to curse
I’ve been using those sorry old words.
But I’m talkin’ to these children
and I’m keeping it clean.
I don’t need those words
to say what I mean.
No, I don’t need those words
to say what I mean.

Tear down the house
that I grew up in.
I'll never be the same again.
Take everything that I used to own
and burn it in a pile,
and bulldoze the woods
that I ran through.
Carry the pictures of me and you.
I have no memory of who I once was
and I don't remember your name.

You should also check out their website and watch the video for "Murder in the City," another haunting track from The Gleam II. If it doesn't make you cry, I don't know what will.

http://theavettbrothers.com/site.php?em3149=191223_-1__0_~0_-1_2_2009_0_0&content=videos


No comments: