Friday, November 23, 2007

Knowing How to Wrap it Up


I saw "Ratatouille" last night. As usual, Pixar managed to produce a most enjoyable film and one that works for both children and adults. A few of their recent movies have veered toward the "too long" side, especially "The Incredibles" and "Cars," but the thing I give Pixar credit for is always knowing how to wrap up a story in an entertaining but also meaningful way. "Ratatouille" has a fantastic finish, ones that concludes the tale of a rat who dreams of being a cook, but additionally makes a poignant statement on the nature of art and the artist. Here it is, quoted by the character Anton Ego, the notorious food critic of the story.

"In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. Last night, I experienced something new, an extraordinary meal from a singularly unexpected source. To say that both the meal and its maker have challenged my preconceptions is a gross understatement. They have rocked me to my core. In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto: Anyone can cook. But I realize that only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere. It is difficult to imagine more humble origins than those of the genius now cooking at Gusteau's, who is, in this critic's opinion, nothing less than the finest chef in France. I will be returning to Gusteau's soon, hungry for more. "

Pretty deep stuff for a kid's movie, but that has always been the genius of Pixar: They know how to cater to more than one patron.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So if you were to compare The Incredibles, Monsters Inc , the Toy Stories and Ratatoie which would you select as the best or your favorite? For me it has to be Monsters. Just an overall amazing film. Great character actor. John Goodman and Billy Crystal are outstanding. The cg was incredible. Don't get me wrong I love most of Pixar's movies but think Monsters is the overall best film in my humble opinion.

The Tall Green One said...

Ratatouille was good, but I wouldn't put it in the class of Toy Story. It just had a really great ending, but the rest of the movie was just good, but not necessarily great like the other Pixar films are.

As for rankings...

Toy Story. Great story. Great characters. Great actors/voices. Short and sweet too. The first might be the best of all Pixar movies. I remember smiling so HUGE when Buzz flies in the end. What a great final sequence with the moving truck rescue. The second is good, but nothing the second time is ever as good as the uniqueness of the first.

Finding Nemo. Maybe it's the father/son nature of this one, but every time I watch it I enjoy it more. It's a wonderful story. The animation is breath-taking too. BEAUTIFUL film too with all the colors of the fish and underwater ocean life.

Monsters Inc. I actually didn't think this one was so great when I first saw it. I'm not sure why. I think it was maybe too long. But since seeing it several times since, I marvel at how I've underrated it. Of all of Pixar's movies, it has to be the most inventive. All of the monster world, the nightmare screams as the power source... all that stuff is great. John Goodman was fantastic. And if you don't cry in the very end when he goes back to the little girl's room and she says "Kitty," then you're not alive.

Incredibles was great, but not really a kid's movie like the others. To me, it was like an animated James Bond or action movie. It was really good but much too long. Two hours!?! That was a bit much, but the second half is exhausting with its incredible action sequences and pace. GREAT second half and great bickering between the husband and wife.

Can't think of the other Pixars, but it's safe to say that Bug's Life was by far the worst. What a disappointment.

Ice Age might be the best of all of them though, although it's not a Pixar. We love that movie around here. Perfect perfect kid's movie. I could watch it every day.

Spirit: Legend of the Cimarron is equally wonderful, though done in the old-school 2-D animation. Fantastic movie.

The newest version of Sinbad with the voices of Brad Pitt and Catherine Zeta Jones was also great. Excellent animation. Really fun story. Super-entertaining movie!

Phew... that was long!